First Homes scheme
Offering a 30% discount on selected homes.
What is the First Homes scheme?
‘First Homes’ is a new government scheme to help more people onto the property ladder. First Homes are just like normal, open market homes, but they are offered for sale at a significant discount of at least 30% on the market value. The scheme is available on selected homes up to £250,000 (£420,000 in London).
How does it work?
- Visit the house builder selling First Homes to see what is available to purchase. Please note that Bovis Homes does not currently have any homes available through this scheme, but this may change in the future.
- Check your eligibility for the home you would like to buy. If you are eligible, you will need to complete a First Homes application to the local authority.
- You can now pay your reservation fee (which will be refunded if your application is unsuccessful) to reserve your chosen home.
- The local authority will check your application. If you meet all the requirements it will issue a First Homes ‘Authority to Proceed’ and Eligibility Certificate to you, the builder, mortgage advisor and your conveyancer. Your conveyancer will also receive instructions from the local authority. You can usually expect a local authority to issue their Authority to Proceed within five working days of application receipt.
- Once approved, you can apply for your mortgage.
- Our sales team will guide you through the rest of the sales process.
Am I eligible to buy a First Home?
- All purchasers must be a first-time buyer, even if more that one person is buying the home.
- You will need to meet any local connection criteria, or key worker restrictions, set by the local authority.
- Your household income must be no more than £80,000 in England or £90,000 in London.
- You will need at least a 5% deposit.
- You will need to be able to obtain a mortgage for at least 50% of the home.